Wednesday, January 28, 2009

If There’s Sunshine in Your Heart

Today in Relief Society we sang this hymn and one of the verses reminded me that I need to thank my neighbor again for having sunshine in her heart for me last Thursday. I woke up that morning feeling quite nauseous, and thought it might just be pregnancy sickness again because I got sick with Eden the last few weeks I was pregnant with her. But, as the day wore on I began to realize this was probably some kind of flu bug. I wondered when I should be worried about dehydration because I had been throwing up since the time I woke up, and had definitely brought up at least 5 times more fluid than I had tried to get down. I called my doctor for advice and she told me to head to a hospital for an IV if I was feeling dizzy or otherwise dehydrated, and that she was worried I might have high blood pressure. So, this really started to get me worried. I hadn’t thrown up for about 3 hours and earlier that morning I’d been throwing up about every 20 minutes for hours. So, I thought I was doing better. Well, about 30 minutes after I spoke to my doctor the vomiting started again, and I began to feel really over-whelmed because Jonathon was at school till 8:30 and it was only 6, and being pregnant it’s easy to get worked up, and tired and dehydrated just adds to the stress. I tried to clean up the house a little thinking I might have a friend over to stay with Eden till Jonathon got home, but I just began to feel more and more dizzy. So, I called my neighbor and asked if Eden could come over and she said with sunshine in her heart, “YES!”. Her enthusiasm to watch her made all the difference. I grabbed Eden and a few diapers and walked next door. As I dropped her off she asked if she’d eaten dinner. I’d been feeding Eden cheese sticks and peanut butter bread all day whenever she asked for food and I could pull myself off the couch long enough to grab her something. So she fed her dinner (her first real meal of the day) with her other 2 girls and did this with a smile on her face even though her husband still hadn’t even gotten home from work and was getting home late that night.
I headed to the hospital, got checked in, got this cool new bracelet,


a dose of Zofran which seemed to take the nausea away immediately, and was sent back home 2 and a half hours later feeling like a new person.
Thanks again Stefani. It made a huge difference to be able to just drop Eden off with no notice, and know that she was in good hands with good friends.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

oh wow! i had no idea that you were THAT sick! my goodness- i am glad you are ok.

stef j. said...

hey thanks! she was really SO good and we had a blast. next time you're puking your guts out, don't hesitate to call. :)

2 peas from my pod

2 peas from my pod