Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Work in Progress

So this week I tried to make home-made granola bars. I learned that almond extract is much more potent than vanilla. So, if you use it to replace vanilla because your cupboards don’t contain this ingredient…don’t use as much. My first 2 attempts didn’t turn out as well as I’d hoped for; still edible but on the sweet and burnt side…but I’m not giving up. I’ll probably try again in a few weeks once these 2 batches are eaten.
My next goal is to learn how to make my own yogurt! I’ll be trying that sometime next week. I figured I need to do something with all this free milk we get each month from WIC.
Yesterday I made salsa for the first time. I tried to remember how my mom used to make it when I was growing up cause it's delicious!! At first it had too much onion, so I added 3 more tomatoes and it turned out great. Not quite as good as moms, but still pretty good.
I also bought some yeast today and am going to try to make my own bread tomorrow. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Jodemasterflex said...

LUCK!

Stephanie said...

yeah, i told thomas about your yogurt making plans and he said his mom did that sometimes when they were younger. i am so intrigued... i never even thought about it before. you'll have to share a recipe that you like when you get it all worked out!

2 peas from my pod

2 peas from my pod