Thursday, June 25, 2009

The flight...

Word to the wise...don't travel alone with 2 kids if you don't have to. :-) Everyone keeps telling me how brave I am for traveling alone with 2 kids. I just tell them, "Thanks...but I am not brave. Just didn't know any better." I didn't think it was going to be too challenging. But, traveling with a toddler, an infant, a double stroller, 2 car seats, 2 carry ons and a diaper bag is probably never an easy task.

Eden did pretty well waiting at the airport. We had buddy passes and we were put on the first flight. So, as we stood there waiting in line to walk to the plane, a lady walked up to me and asked. "Are you Parker?"


"Yes"


"Come with me" she said


Apparently there were no 2 seats available together, so they wanted to bump me to the next flight (which was leaving in 20 minutes). So we RAAAN down to the next gate.


I spoke with the lady standing at the computers. "Hi! They just sent me down to get on this flight" I said.


"Do you have a ticket?" she asked


"No, I am flying on a buddy pass. These are my tickets."


"These tickets are for the flight that just left." she replied.


"I know...they sent me to get on this flight."


"Well, I just gave away all the seats on this flight, it's too late."


At this point I was trying not to cry....she said "hold on". She started typing away at her computer and called a passenger on the intercom. He was standing 4 feet away and walked over to us. She asked if he would be willing to give his seat to me and he said, "You bet!" I told him thanks and started to cry. He looked at me and smiled. I told him, "You don't know what this means to me." He said, "You are doing me a favor." Wasn't that sweet of him? He still was on the flight, but was willing to sit somewhere else for me.


As we were walking to turn in our tickets to get on the plane Eden was screaming which woke up Tex who also started screaming. They were both crying and crying till I sat down. I could feel the burning glares of passengers as I boarded the red eye flight. There were several people not glaring however and took pity on me. A nice "devil's angel" kind of guy standing behind me offered to help me fold up my stroller and get the car seats taken care of. And another helpful lady held Tex for me while I arranged everything. Once we were on the plane a sweet (in her 70's) flight attendant grabbed my 40 lb diaper bag in one hand and Eden's hand in the other and walked all the way back to the plane where out seats were waiting...and so was the sweet man who would share our row with us.


Once we sat down, I was able to entertain Eden and get Texton back to sleep. As soon as we took off, Eden fell asleep and stayed asleep till landing YAY!!! Texton did pretty well too. The hardest part was that he doesn't like to be held when sleeping. I brought a front carrier (he hated it), and my ring sling (didn't like that either.) He liked sleeping on my knees. At one point they both slept on the seats like this and I stood in the isle







Then I decided to put Eden on the floor and Tex slept on the seat next to me. All in all I think I slept 2 hours on this 6 hour flight. I wish I brought a book.

It was a really really really long flight...but definitely worth the trip. I am sooo sooo so glad that I get to be here with my family. I'd do it all over again most definitely. These guys are the best! Now...if only everyone was here. :-( Wish I was able to see you Utahns and Texans too.

7 comments:

liko said...

wow, yeah. that sounds like a tough one! and i probably would've started crying for sure! i remember dreading traveling alone with faith and that ended up being ok, and then me and doug took both kids to oregon when malik was a baby - he just slept in my baby carrier practically the entire flight and doug was stuck with faith - who was wanting to run up and down the aisles. it's great that eden slept the whole time. and i'm glad there were nice people who helped you out. can't wait til you get back!

Stephanie said...

i cried a little reading that- i am SO GLAD there were nice people to help out and can only imagine the ordeal to get there- but glad you made it safe and sound- all things considered!

Amy K said...

The LORD definately works his miracles through others ... this is a reminder to me to be more aware of the miracles around me that need my help to come true. Love ya! ~Amy

Brett, Cassie, Taylor & Jack said...

If anyone can do those kind of flights its definately you. You are a very patient mom. I'm glad you're having fun and got to see your fam. I'm jealous. Call us when you get back to play.

stef j. said...

i . would . have . bawled.

the whole time.

standing in the aisle

bawling.

so i think you're amazing!

Rob, Brooke, Breanna and Ethan said...

yep, i would have bawled too! good job keeping yourself halfway sane with all the work you were doing. flying with a toddler is work in itself, i can't imagine doing it with a baby too, you're my hero!

wood0306 said...

You are such an amazing person. Thanks so much. You made my vacation by being there!

2 peas from my pod

2 peas from my pod