Saturday, October 24, 2009

Tex's new gown

I was having a hard time deciding what to make Tex be for Halloween. So, I thought I should try to get his temperature up really high somewhere in the 103.8 range and drive at 11 o clock at night down to Kapiolani hospital to check him into the emergency room.
Of course in order to receive this sweet gown the poor guy had to endure

1. a chest x-ray in a contraption that looked just like this
2. a swine flu test which entailed a swab being jammed up into his nasal cavity

3. a blood test...which he REALLY REALLY hated
4. and waiting waiting waiting till 3 in the morning for negative results, and 3 prescriptions (antibiotics, Tylenol, ibuprofen)

And intermittently between his tests he survived 3 temperature checks in a location where the sun doesn't shine very often....Except on days like this one...before these crazy fevers started.
Today he is a little fussy, very sleepy, but hanging in there....poor little man. And so is Dad and Eden who made the journey down with us at 11pm. Eden got to wait in the waiting room with Dad while watching Finding Nemo. And we got back home at 5 in the morning, and all headed straight for bed.
Good news
1. He doesn't have pneumonia
2. He doesn't have a blood infection
3. He doesn't have swine flu
4. I got to catch up with an old friend on the phone as I drove home with my family all sleeping in the back seat. (Thankfully 4 AM here is 8AM somewhere else)
Tex does have a left ear infection, but the dr. didn't think that is what was causing the high fevers 3 nights in a row. So that is why we had to do all the tests. We are waiting through the weekend and hoping the fevers go away by monday. And you thought I really just wanted that cute miniature hospital gown... What kind of mommy do you think I am? ;-)
And sadly enough, as I put Tex in the car seat wearing his cute little gown I thought to myself "No, this is stealing from the hospital". So, I took him out, took off his gown, and folded it nicely on the little hospital bed, turned out the lights, grabbed my baby, and walked out with our discharge papers in hand.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

poor poor sweet cute boy! i am so sad for him! get well soon little one- we want to play!

and GREAT new header matti- beautiful!

Bonnie said...

Sure hope he is feeling better soon and that you guys get some rest...You are all in my prayers.

Miss you!

liko said...

oh, poor guy!! no fun!!

i've had to put faith into that very same x-ray contraption to make sure she didn't have pnuemonia once, too.
good to hear that it was JUST an ear infection, though. and with all the antibiotics he'll be feeling great again!! and he won't be having to get his temperature taken either!

The Waldon Family said...

Wow, that is quite a contraption. Glad the tests were negative. Best of wishes on Tex getting better!

The Fantastic Four said...

Oh Matti...so sorry to hear about your night at the hospital!! So glad to hear that Tex doesn't have H1N1 though. Hope he's feeling better.

If it were me I would've totally stolen the cute little gown!! hehehe. You are much more pure than me. =)

wood0306 said...

At least you get to have the pictures forever in his cute little gown :) So happy he is doing better!

2 peas from my pod

2 peas from my pod