Sunday, February 15, 2009

Editing the Bread Recipe

For those of you interested in making that bread recipe I posted about a week or so ago here, I tried something new with it the other night. I didn't like the olive oil, or vegetable oil after taste is seemed to have. So, last night I tried it with 1T apple sauce and 1T melted butter, in place of the oil. I liked it much better this way. So, when you are wanting more home made bread, give it a try!

If you are wondering what to do with your left over wheat flour if you don't want to make bread anymore, try this recipe for home made tortillas.

I just tried it today, and made Eden a quesadilla, and a ham tomato spinach wrap for myself. It was delicious!

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 T olive oil
1/2 cup warm tap water or milk (mine was a little dry so I just added a little more water a little at a time)

Combine flour, Baking powder and salt. Add olive oil and stir until well combined. Put in warm tap water/milk a bit at a time until dough can be gathered into a ball. Add more water if needed 1 T at a time. Knead on floured surface 15-20 times. Let dough rest for 15 minutes (I didn't let it rest. I am impatient. But it would probably puff up better if I let it rest) Divide dough into 10-12 equal portions and shape into balls. On floured surface roll out ball from center into a circle. (I find the easiest way to do this is to cut a freezer glad bag into two - along the seems- Then put the dough between the two pieces in the center, roll it with a Pam Spray bottle -cause I don't have a rolling pin- and then take it out of the 2 pieces of plastic. Cook on ungreased skillet over medium-high heat on each side about 30 seconds or until puffy.

Fun and easy (and frugal). You can store the left overs in your fridge or freezer.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

your bread recipe is a regular in our house- havent bought any bread since i tried it out the first time! i dont mind the oil taste- hadnt noticed it- but maybe now i will and will have to try out this new version! :)

and thanks for the tortilla recipe- i love it when people recommend good recipes and you are good at doing that!

Melissa said...

oooh thanks!

Matti said...

I think the oil thing just bothers me sometime. I have been hyper-sensitive to tastes and smells this past week.

2 peas from my pod

2 peas from my pod