Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Per Your Request -Bread Recipe

How annoying. I just typed a whole long thing about alterations I have made to this recipe...and when I clicked "Publish Post" it gave me an error page and erased everything I just spent the past 10 minutes typing!!!! AAAAAHHHH

So. Here is the website
http://www.tammysrecipes.com/homemade_wheat_bread You probably have to cut and paste cause I don't know how to make links.


My tips after making this bread twice are as follows

1. It calls for INSTANT ACTIVE YEAST. The first time I tried to make this it didn't seem to rise well. I think that's because I used ACTIVE YEAST. I don't know much about bread and yeast. But, the 2nd time I tried this recipe I put the yeast in 1 C warm water in a separate bowl and then in a large bowl added the next 5 ingredients. You will see when you read the recipe that it says to put the 1st 6 ingredients in bowl and then add yeast and flour. So. Combine everything but the water, yeast, and flour. Then once you have stired your oil, honey, etc. add the flower and the yeast water. Make sense?

2. Getting bread to rise. It's best probably to put your bread in a sunny place to rise so that it's about 80 degrees. Since there hasn't been any sun lately I put the bread in the microwave on my first attempt at this recipe. My second attempt I put it in the oven on warm with the door open. This seemed to work well. But it also could have been because I did the yeast differently. Either way, it turned out better.

This bread is pretty tasty fresh out of the oven, but I think it tastes even better the next day. I don't know why, it just seems sweeter to me.

So, good luck! Have fun. It's really easy. And I like that this recipe only makes 1 loaf at a time. It seems less intimidating that way.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

hooray! thanks :)

and i agree- one loaf at a time is the way to go.

part of the reason why bread intimidates me so is that i keep trying to make my great grandma's biscuits that make enough for a huge army and so i have to figure out how i can get 4 quarts of flour down to something more manageable for my family.

i did two quarts last time, but that is the same as a pitcher of crystal lite and was still a whole lotta dough to work with and then eat. :)

anyway, i am excited to make this!

Stephanie said...

oooookkkkkaayyyy- im making it right now as we speak! waiting for the dough to rise and checkin blogs and amby is sleeping.

thanks again friend- im excited and feel very domestic or something :)

Ashley C said...

I've tried making rolls and stuff, and nothing ever turns out. But I definitely want to try this bread. It looks pretty easy. So you dont use a big mixer or anything? People have told me that the reason my rolls and stuff havent worked is because I didnt have a bread machine or mixer thing. I guess those arent necessary afterall. I am going to try this soon. I hope it works for me. I would love to know how to make bread.

2 peas from my pod

2 peas from my pod