Saturday, February 7, 2009

Suffering from SBD



What is SBD? According to me it stands for Severe Brain Dysfunction. It's a medical marvel when someone can safely make it through the day with SBD. Yesterday I consider myself a medical marvel.

The day started out normal. Beautiful actually. It was the first sunny day we have had in a long time. The mom's in the area had decided to make a beach day of it and meet at a local favorite, Aligator Pond.

Eden and I got ourselves ready and headed out the door. On our way to the beach I called a friend to see if she'd like me to pick her up since her husband had the car. She said that would be great. So I quickly turned around to grab the extra car seat. When I pulled into the drive-way, I saw our neighbor out front putting laundry on the line so I thought it would be safe to leave Eden in the car for a moment while I ran back to the house to grab the car-seat.

As I got out of the car I thought this exact thought, "Okay, I'll leave the car running (cause I hate restarting cars), and I'll lock the doors to be sure Eden is safe and no one steals the car." Anyone catch anything wrong with this thought? I'll say it again. "I'll leave the car RUNNING, and lock all the doors to be sure Eden is safe." You have probably figured it out by now. If you leave your car running, and lock all the doors you have basically just locked yourself out, and your child IN.

I discovered this mistake when I returned to the car and tried to open the back hatch of our van. I couldn't believe myself. My phone was in the car too. And as luck would have it Jonathon was in WAIANAE for the day (a good 2 hours away). So I rushed to the neighbor to borrow her phone. I called the police cause as I have always heard they will ONLY break into your car if you have a child in it. BINGO! I have a child! So, I called 911, got the police, told them my problem, and they said,"We can't help you mam. I'll connect you to the fire-department." What? Okay? So 2 seconds later the fire picks up. "What's your emergency?" "No real emergency" I tell them, "I just locked my keys in my car though, and my kid is still in it. Do you guys have any way of breaking in?" "Well mam, we don't have any slim jims, but we'll send someone over to see what can be done." "Thanks!" I say.

So I hang up the phone feeling rather discouraged and worried that it will come down to having to break a window, and I just feel so retarted at this point. I'm worried about Eden cause she hasn't had breakfast yet (I packed it for the beach). I'm trying not to cry, but I am beginning to get overwhelmed. Stef tells me to just cry, so I allow myself a little. ;-)

She sweetly says, "Let's walk over to check on Eden, and we'll see if there is a way we can get in." I'd given up hope by this point, so I'm glad she was with me. I walked over with her, and Eden was fine. Just sitting waiting patiently. Stef said, "Are you sure the doors are locked? Is there a window cracked? Do you have a wire hanger? Maybe we can get Casey (her husband) on the phone and he can walk us through something." So, I wander to the back hatch door again, pull the handle and...it opens! What the heck? This door was locked 4 minutes ago before I called the police and the fire department and felt like the sky was falling!

Seconds after I get the door open I hear the sirens coming up the road and am thinking, "Please don't let those be for me!" Sure enough a large fire-fighting engine comes into view and pulls down my street as I am standing there holding Gwen (Stef's baby) cause Stef climbed to the front of the car to unlock the doors for me. I sheepishly wave them down so they don't have to look for the address (since my car is obviously no longer locked). I said, "I am soooo sorry. I figured it out just seconds before you got here. I am sooo embarassed. Thank you so much for coming so fast. Is there anything I need to sign or fill out?" The driver asks the other 5 men who accompanied him and they said no. He was really sweet and said, "Don't worry mam. Happens all the time. We are glad you called. It's better to be safe than sorry when a child is involved."

Stef got a photo of the truck for me as they were driving off. I'll have to post it when I get it from her.

Thanks again Stef! So glad your calming presence was there with me as I was loosing my pregnant mind.

So! We got in our cars and headed for the beach. But I still needed to pick up Cassey and her kids. So we swung by BYUH, grabbed them, and went to beach.

Once we were there we unloaded and were all ready to walk to the beach till I thought, "WAIT! Where are my keys?" Couldn't find them anywhere! I searched the car for 3 min. Nothing. Cassey offered to walk Eden down with her while i looked. So, I spent the next 5 or more minutes digging around my van. There aren't very many hiding places to check. I realized I hadn't said a prayer yet to thank Heavenly Father for helping me get into my car without breaking a window, or the help of a team of Firemen. So, I was quickly humbled and prayed. I thought for sure I'd find my keys now. Nope! So, I decide to give up. I go around the van, close all the doors, and as I am closing the sliding door I look up. Sure enough! There are my keys and cell phone sitting on top of the car!

Finally I head down to the beach and we had an AWESOME morning. Eden got a little sun-burn because thanks to my SBD I forgot to put sunscreen on her. But there were sooo many mom's and kiddos there. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos. I brought my camera...but forgot to grab the memory card. Whoops!

Today should be better. And if not, at least we will have Dadda with us all day. So if I need to, I can borrow his brain for a while.

Epilogue: Later that afternoon, Jonathon called me on his way home from Waianae. I told him the long fire-department story. He laughed and said, "Didn't you know that there is a keyless entry pad in the key door?" Nope! Obviously I didn't.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

haha! oh my gosh!!! i cant believe all that happened in between the time that i drove by at like 9:30 and saw your and stef's cars still at your house and when i saw you at the beach!! im happy you were still able to make it though!

Meg said...

Hilarious! I hate days when I feel like my brain doesn't work. It helps me when I think to myself, "slow down, what is the rush?!" then my befuddled brain usually thinks more clearly!

Tane and Angela said...

oh matti! i feel like i'm having a dejavu with the whole lock the kid in the car experience if you remember my blog a while back...man crazy huh?> and you know what, the whole brain disfunctional thing never gets better=) sometimes i find myself doing things unconsiously and i'm like wait, when i do this? it's scary..but hey at least you had the car on right? but it's still embarrassing when those sirens are for you huh=) i'm glad she's fine though=)

echo said...

oh my goodness Matti!! what a funny story.

echo said...

oh my goodness Matti!! what a funny story.

Melissa said...

oh my!! I hate those days...so frustrating! I have them all the time, however I have NO excuse. I'm just scatterbrained.
glad everything worked out and you had fun at t he beach!

The Waldon Family said...

Funniest story I've read all week, I love it! I definitely can relate to this post, don't feel alone. Hooray for you being brave enough to write about it, I guess that is why we all love you Matti!

Amy K said...

Goodness Gracious Me. At least now I know I'm not alone and it's genetic. And now you know it doesn't go away with age. ;o) Sure do miss you guys! Love ya. ~Mimi

2 peas from my pod

2 peas from my pod