Thursday, September 24, 2009

Dear Grandma Ruth

My sweet Grandma, who passed away several years ago, 95th birthday just rolled around a few days ago. And I thought she might be happy to know that I still remember special times with her.

I'm glad I was able to spend time with my grandparents growing up. We only lived near them for a short part of my childhood. We moved away from them when I was 6. But I remember taking walks with Grandma everywhere. And I remember Grandma always always singing.

One of my favorite songs Grandma would sing was "Peas Porridge Hot". I thought it seemed like such a silly song. Who in the world would want to eat 9 day old soup, especially when it was cold?

I've been singing this song to Eden now and then for the past few days, and thinking about you Grandma, and remembering our long walks.

Tonight, Eden was having a hard time falling asleep. I went in her room to tuck her back in, and I said, "I'll sing you one more song. You want your nigh-night song?" And she said, "No Mamma. I wanna sing the pea song".

And so we did, and after that and a few hugs and kisses, and one more verse of the night-night song...she fell fast asleep.
Thanks for spending so much time with me Grandma. I know you loved me, and that you still do.

2 comments:

Amy K said...

Thanks sis. That brought back GREAT memories. :) I can still hear her clucking her tongue and humming hymns. We were very lucky to be their grandkids, THAT IS FOR SURE.

Bonnie said...

This is such a touching tribute to a very special lady...I know she will be very pleased:-) Thanks sweetie:-)

2 peas from my pod

2 peas from my pod