Sunday, September 13, 2009

A new way to paint...and cook

Eden is in love with painting her finger-nails. We found a water-color tray at a garage sale last weekend. Brand new, 10cents. It has provided hours worth of free baby-sitting in the high chair while I get some work done around the house.

One of the things I've been doing around the house. Cooking up these delicious recipes

Candied Tomatoes: Sooo delicious. I made them this afternoon. I wished I had some feta cheese to throw on top. I can imagine how yummy they would be on a salad with cottage cheese. Oh my gosh. Just try them. You will love them and come up with your own creations.

Ingredients: 6 Tomatoes, 1/4 C Olive oil, Salt

Cut tomatoes in half. Place on baking dish cut side up. Pour a little olive oil over top. Sprinkle some salt on top

Cook in oven for 2 hours (yes 2) at 350 degrees. They will be wrinkly and a little cooked on the top.

AMAZING!!! I put them on a plate with some baked chicken and this sauce on top

Easy Delicious FRESH Marinara RECIPE:
2 cans petite diced tomatoes
1 Med onion, chopped
4-6 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced 1/8 inch or less
Salt and Pepper
20 Basil leaves, stacked, rolled, and sliced thin

Over medium-heat, warm about 1/3C of the juice from the tomatoes in a saucepan. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 7 minutes. Then add the garlic and saute another 3 minutes. If tomato sauce is bubbling turn heat down. Add the remaining tomatoes and their juice. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Stir and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Turn the heat off and add the basil.

I also added a little olive oil (3 or 4 TBS maybe) and sprinkled Shredded Mozzarella over top.

This sauce is also delicious on whole wheat spaghetti or you can make mini pizza's with what pita bread. Just put this sauce on top of whole pita bread, sprinkle cheese, bake in oven at 350 for 7 minutes and turn oven up to broil for 3 more minutes. (Watch cheese to make sure it doesn't burn.)

1 comment:

The Waldon Family said...

Matti, you and your husband make such cute kids! I love the pictures :). I am also super excited to try your recipes, I bought way too many tomatoes and now I have something to do with them! Thanks!!

2 peas from my pod

2 peas from my pod